5 Brain-Healthy Diet Tips
Eating right can undoubtedly help you to maintain a healthy, strong body. Many people change up their diet for the benefits that their body and muscles will receive. However many nutritious foods are also good for improving your brainpower and mental abilities! When modifying your eating habits, be sure to consider your brain health as well for a well rounded health regimen that will leave you feeling good from the inside out. Here are 5 brain-healthy diet tips for a fit mind and body.
- Root vegetables such as beets are excellent, nutrient rich foods that can help charge your brainpower. The natural nitrates found in beets have been scientifically proven to increase the flow of blood to the brain drastically, which is known to improve brain performance significantly. You can incorporate beets into your meal regimen by adding them to your favorite salad or by roasting them and drizzling them with some scrumptious honey as a side to your main meal.
- Food can help you improve your memory functioning. Snack on some herbs like sage before a big test or presentation for improved memory abilities. It has been shown that when people ingest sage-oil extract before a cognitive test, they perform much better than individuals who ate a placebo. Sage is comprised of compounds that have the ability to stop the breakdown of a neurotransmitter called acetylcholine, which helps the brain to learn and remember information.
- Nutrients found in fish can help you to stay focused all day long. Sardines are especially known for being excellent sources of EPA and DHA. These are omega-3 fatty acids that improve overall brain function by allowing brain cells to communicate more efficiently. EPA and DHA also help improve mental focus by regulating specific neurotransmitters in the brain.
- One of your favorite breakfast foods can help sharpen your noggin! Eggs are a great source of choline and protein. Choline is especially found in the yolk of the egg and is responsible for helping in the development of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Eggs are also rich in protein to help keep you sharp all day long for higher overall cognitive performance and a full stomach. Enjoy eggs scrambled or fried for a yummy mental boost.
- Oats are also excellent for improving mental capabilities. Your brain needs glucose in order to work properly. This glucose is found in carbohydrates from oats. The carbs found in oats sustain high mental functioning for long periods of time because the body breaks these carbohydrates down slowly, keeping you thinking clearly all day long. You can get your oats from oatmeal or a variety of other recipes like muffins or breads.
Choosing healthy foods such as these will not only help improve your body by providing it with essential and beneficial nutrients, but they can also improve your mental functioning. Eating nutrient rich foods like fish or calamari oil, eggs, oats, root vegetables, and herbs can truly keep your mind sharp and focused, improving your overall mental abilities.