5 Natural Ways to Reduce Your Allergy Symptoms
It is officially allergy season! As the summer months creep up, we look forward to time outside enjoying the activities we love with our friends and family. Unfortunately for allergy sufferers, this time is often tainted by having to deal with irritating and frustrating allergy symptoms. These symptoms include itchy eyes, congestion, sneezing, coughing and many others. Allergies can be triggered by a number of factors throughout the year including pollen, mold, pet dander, or dust mites. Often, these uncomfortable symptoms are treated with over the counter or prescription medications that cause their own side effects like drowsiness. There are ways to avoid relying on medications such as Benadryl, Clarinex, Zyrtec, or Allegra. There are several natural remedies and precautions available that can ease and reduce your allergy symptoms. You can start implementing any of these strategies today!
- Using a humidifier does not seem instinctual as the summer months creep up and outdoor humidity rises. Regardless, using a humidifier can still help to reduce allergens in the air. Moisture drops actually cling to allergens so they cannot float through the air and enter your nasal passages.
- A saline nasal rinse is a great way to clear out your passageways when you have allergy symptoms. A product such as a Neti Pot will cleanse nasal passages with a saline solution. It clears away allergens and any irritants lingering and causing uncomfortable symptoms.
- Quercetin is an all-natural substance that can be found at your local pharmacy. It is safe, but always check with a doctor before taking any supplement to ensure it will not interfere with any other medications. Once you get the okay, Quercetin helps ease allergy symptoms by slowing the chemical release of histamines in your system and relieving inflammation. This substance, found in natural vegetables and fruits, acts as a natural antihistamine allowing you to skip the prescription medications with similar results.
- An air purifier is another great way to reduce allergy symptoms and your exposure to allergens of various kinds. Air purifiers work in stages to thoroughly capture irritants and particles in the air. Particles include dust mites, pollen, mold and pet dander as well as any bacteria lingering in the air of your home. Air purifiers such as the Blueair Air Purifier, are effective as well as unobtrusive in your home. Blueair air purifiers are especially quiet and they use a three step process to ensure over 99% of particles are removed, leaving you with allergen-free, clean air.
- You can also reduce your allergy symptoms by avoiding exposure when possible. Stay indoors when possible and especially on days when the pollen count is high or the wind is stronger than usual. If working outdoors, be sure to wear a mask to avoid inhaling pollen or mold from wet outdoor areas. In addition, while inside, you should be sure to keep windows closed. If you have, an air conditioner can also help to minimize allergens in your home.
While allergies can cause handicaps in your day-to-day life, there are many natural and simple ways to help manage and reduce your allergy symptoms. It is helpful to avoid contact with triggers, however this is not always possible. When you need relief it is wise to try proven allergy relief methods such as humidifiers, saline nasal rinses, homeopathic remedies, air purifiers, or reducing unnecessary outdoor exposure. If your symptoms worsen, be sure to contact your health-care provider to determine if you are using relief methods appropriate for your allergy symptoms.