5 Tips for Cooking and Preparing Healthy Meals at Home
(Category: Health and Fitness)
Eating healthily at home isn’t just healthy – it can also be delicious and it can save a lot of money. Some people spend a fortune going out to eat, but much of what you will find at restaurants is artery clogging and fattening – even at the good restaurants. However, at home, you can cook a lean, tasty meal that tastes great and feels great to eat. Moreover, eating healthy at home is good for the whole family. Taking the kids out to eat can cost a lot of money, but eating at home costs a fraction of that amount. Here are five tips for cooking and preparing healthy meals at home.
- Cook vegetables that are in season. The vegetables that are in season will both be fresh and delicious. Also, the vegetables in season are often organic. Simply look online for the nearest organic market, or head to your local farmer’s market. With fall coming up, you will find a lot of things like squashes and other root vegetables that come from the soil.
- Make a weekly recipe and put it on the fridge. This can be a great way to make a safe transition from going out to eat all the time and eating at home. All it takes is a little research, but you should be able to find a few healthy recipes online. Simply write them down and then create a menu for the days you will prepare those dishes. This can also be a great strategy to make it fun for the kids to eat more healthily at home, because sometimes kids are the hardest to please.
- Add flavor to vegetables. After a while, you are probably going to get tired of the same old steamed vegetables. So, why not stir-fry them – make them spicy and a little sweet. Add ingredients you’ve never added before, like exotic spices, nuts and clover. The more tasty vegetables will be, the more palatable they will be, especially for someone not used to eating a lot of vegetables as a party of their regular diet. Again, making vegetables tasty is also a great way to get kids to get on board with vegetables.
- Make it fun. Why not make a party out of eating healthily at home. Sometimes the best way to get your family involved and motivated to eating more healthily at home is to make making meals at home an exiting cook-out – to make it an event. You can pick up some fun kitchen aprons, put together a playlist and find an amazing recipe that everyone can be involved in the creation of. Chances are the meal will be delicious.
- Don’t be afraid to make it quick. It is also important to remember that you don’t always have to make a grand meal to enjoy a healthy snack at home. Sometimes a healthy salad and some light sandwiches will do the trick. What you want to do, however, is stick to lean meats, because red, fatty meats can be unhealthy, which kind of defeats the purpose.