5 Tips for Soothing and Treating Swollen Gums
Swollen gums are extremely uncomfortable and result in constant pain and discomfort. Typically, a doctor or dentist will be needed to completely treat the issue and resolve the problem. Luckily there are some non-invasive, simple things you can do to soothe and treat your swollen gums and at home. Here are 5 tips for soothing and treating swollen gums to ease your discomfort.
- Drink lots of water. When your gums are sore, the amount of saliva in your mouth will naturally be reduced. This can be overcome and resolved when you drink lots of water so that you do not become dehydrated. In addition, drinking fluids and water can help to clean and wash your mouth so that it is free of bacteria that could potentially worsen the problem and your discomfort.
- Ease the pain by massaging your gums. Using your index finger, you can gently rub the gums in a circular motion. Do so slowly and gently so as not to aggravate the area more. Massage will help improve circulation to these areas and get the blood flowing. You can also massage your cheek and jaw area. If you will be putting your finger in your mouth, just be sure it is clean to reduce bacteria around your gums.
- Eat well to reduce the pain and encourage soothing. Avoid eating any foods that are very sticky and that could get stuck between your teeth. These foods, like candy or even bread, can cause plaque and bacteria to build up, adding to your swollen gums and pain. Instead, choose to eat foods that are high in vitamin c, including fruits and vegetables. Eating healthy foods that are high in nutrients will not only be good for your overall health, but these foods can also help to promote healing of your gums.
- Brush and floss your teeth regularly. Brushing not only prevents cavities but also will remove plaque, food waste, and bacteria so that they cannot build up in your mouth and lead to infections of the gums. Brush at least twice a day, in the morning and before bed for the best results. Also, avoid using a harmful, harsh toothpaste product as this may cause more irritation or even bleeding.
- Finally, you can use clove oil to reduce your discomfort. Close oil is often used for toothaches and can also be extremely helpful for dealing with sore gums. It is available over the counter, making it very convenient. Use three times a day and apply directly to your gums after meals to promote healing.
All of these tips are helpful, simple, and natural ways that you can help yourself and relieve your swollen gums. Stay hydrated, massage your gums, eat nutritious foods, brush and floss regularly, and use clove oil for an at home soothing regimen. Be sure to see a dentist at your local dental firm or at East Side Smiles in order to get professional help but in the meantime, these tips will help you with your overall oral hygiene and they will also work to ease swollen gums and reduce pain.