5 Tips for Shiny Healthy Hair
Having shiny, healthy hair usually makes us shiner, happier, healthier people. Hair is an external, outward expression of our individual and unique personalities. The way a person presents their hair to the world is typically the way that someone will present themselves as well. Unkempt bed head can mean either one of two things: you are just too busy to do your hair and like the messy look or you are actually a disorganized person; hopefully it's the former. What most people don't know is that 2 in 4 people have unhealthy hair and don't even know it. This can be contributed to diet, using too much product and outside environmental causes, like dry air or too much humidity. Luckily, there are a number of ways to keep your hair shiny and healthy that won't cost a fortune at the hair salon. Here are 5 tips for shiny healthy hair.
- Your first line of defense in getting shiny healthy hair will start with your diet. First, you should know that your hair is an ever-growing part of your body and the healthier you are, the healthier your hair will be. Eating foods rich with protein and iron will help your hair grow stronger and have a shinier patina. You should avoid foods with heavy mercury content, like tuna and some sushi dishes. Also, staying hydrated, by always having a water bottle by your side, will greatly increase the health and volume of your hair.
- Another way to keep your hair healthy and shiny is to not wash it every single day. At most, you should wash your hair 3 to 4 days a week; or every other day. Over washing your hair is one of the number one causes of dry hair, because of all the chemicals that are in shampoo. You should also condition your hair less - up to twice a week is adequate and only use as much as you will need.
- While you are washing your hair, one of the best ways to maintain the health of your hair is to rinse out the shampoo and conditioner with cold water. The more contact your hair has with hot water, the dryer it will be. Cold water will keep it soft and shiny.
- And when you get out of the shower, you want to pat dry your hair, opposed to rub dry, with a towel. It is also best to use minimal heat when you blow-dry your hair to keep it from drying out. Moreover, if you use a hair flattener like the chi hair straightener, make sure to put product in your hair after, never before.
- If you do use products, make sure to read the label. You don't want to use anything that has too many chemicals. Most of the chemicals will do the opposite of keep your hair healthy. The best products to use will have minimal ingredients. If you see the word 'phosphates' in the list of ingredients on your shampoo or conditioner, don't buy that product. Phosphates can significantly dry out your hair. Sometimes the key to having shiny and healthy hair is to keep it as natural as possible.