5 Essential Tips for Better Spine Health
Your spine is one of the most important parts of your body’s anatomy – it not only keeps your back straight, but it is also responsible for maintaining the equilibrium and health of your entire body. For instance, the spine is not only a very complicated bone structure consisting of ligaments and joints that allow us to stand upright, jump and run around, but our spine also has a complex system of nerves and arteries that are responsible for our body’s entire mechanics. This is the reason why spine health is so important. When it comes down to it, maintaining your spine’s health is easy – provided the you make spine health a habit and a priority. Here are five essential tips for better spine health.
- Be careful when you sit. Most people have no idea how bad sitting can be – until they get older. If you work at a desk everyday, you may experience some back discomfort, which is a sign that it could get much worse if you don’t do something about it. When you sit, you want to make sure that you don’t slouch – you also want to make sure that your knees are slightly higher than your hips. Sitting the right way will ensure a much healthier spine.
- Be careful when you pick up or lift items. When it comes down to it, you may be lifting and reaching for items the wrong way. For instance, if you drop an item on the floor and want to pick it up, you don’t want to bend down at the waist – you want to drop to one knee and then pick up the item. If the item is heavy, you should never lift with your back – always lift with the power of your legs. If the item is too heavy – don’t lift it.
- Be mindful of your diet. If you really want to maintain your spine health, you want to maintain your overall health as well. If you have a bad diet, it could affect your spine. Not only that, but if you are overweight, it could put unnecessary strain on your spine, which can start to cause excruciating pain. If this is the case, you want to make sure that you talk to a nutritionist to get on a better diet and to get your life on track.
- Be aware and make spine health a priority. Just like you go to a dentist for a regular cleaning and check up, you also want to visit a spine doctor or spine surgeon to have your spine examined. If you have any genetic spine problems, or if you simply want to stay on top of your spine’s health, you will want to have your spine looked at annually. A doctor may take fluid samples and x-rays to make sure nothing serious is wrong.
- Be sure to find the right sleeping posture. Sleep can be an incredibly powerful ally and anecdote to a healthy and well maintained spine. For instance, sleep can provide the restorative powers your back needs for the spine to regenerate and restore itself. Also, finding the right posture can allow the spine to rest. One of the best positions to sleep in in is the side position, because that is often the best way to allow your spine to rest on its natural curvature. At the end of the day, you may also want to invest in a more comfortable mattress.