5 Inspirational Quotes From Health and Fitness Gurus
Attaining optimum health and fitness is no cakewalk; in fact, it requires you to put down the cake and start walking. And it can definitely be difficult to find the motivation to exercise, diet, and advance your own health and fitness when the TV and fast food are calling to you. Let’s face it; most of us want to be comfortable and sedentary. We make excuses about being too busy, too tired, and even too out of shape to get into shape. But excuses are all they are. The things that we get done in life are the ones we prioritize. So if you’re looking for a little inspiration to get you going on your journey to a healthier, happier you, here are just a few quotes from some well-known health and fitness gurus that may just get you motivated.
- “Physical fitness can neither be achieved by wishful thinking nor outright purchase.” – Joseph Pilates. We live in a society where instant gratification is de rigueur, which is probably why there are so many fad diets and cosmetic surgeons in the world. But health and fitness do not conform to this consumer idea. You have to work hard if you want to look and feel your best.
- “No tricks, gimmicks, special pills, special potions, special equipment. All it takes is desire and will.” – Richard Simmons. The godfather of fitness, Jack LaLanne once said, “The only way you get that fat off is to eat less and exercise more.” Simmons takes this idea to the next level by injecting the idea of desire and willpower into the equation. Getting fit certainly requires you to change the way you approach life, particularly in the areas of diet and exercise. But first you have to want to make a change.
- “We can help create a culture – imagine this – where our kids ask for healthy options instead of resisting them.” – Michelle Obama. Okay, so the First Lady isn’t exactly a health or fitness guru, but her Let’s Move campaign, her fight against childhood obesity, and her commitment to helping adults learn how to be responsible for the health of their kids has practically made her an expert on the topic of developing healthy habits for life. And she’s not wrong to start with children. It’s never too late to develop healthy habits, but when they’re learned early in life they’re a lot more likely to stick.
- “Remember this: your body is your slave; it works for you.” – Jack LaLanne. It’s not uncommon to hear people complaining that their bodies just don’t work a certain way, or that they’re held back by genetics. But even kids without legs will strap on prosthetics and run. So what’s your excuse?
- “Why choose to fail when success is an option?” – Jillian Michaels. There are plenty ofinspirational quotes related to health and fitness, but this one from personal trainer Jillian Michaels (of ‘The Biggest Loser’ fame) might be one of the best. Fitness is a choice, and we make it every day when we sit on the couch with a bag of chips or hit the pavement for a jog and then eat a nutritious meal. We may achieve varying levels of success, but success is always an option when it comes to your health and fitness. You just have to set attainable goals and then make the choices that will help you succeed.